Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dogs name is Ranger. Ranger, on two seperate occasion has

Customer Question

Hi, My name is ***** ***** my dogs name is***** on two seperate occasion has had lumps all down both sides of his body. It threw him off his food for a few days the first time. Now is his second time through it and it has been several days where he barely eats and now today he isn't drinking much water. He is 2 yrs old and a lab. We had him checked the first time and the vet really didn't say much about it and it did go away on its own. This time a little more concerned
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ranger?
Customer: He is a white lab and if the light hits him just right you can see a like blue hew on the sides in the region on both sides where the lumps are. He has been over weight but we have been working on that.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You appear to be describing an urticarial reaction in the form of hives and wheals. This type of reaction represents a hypersensitivity to an envenomation, vaccine, drug, food, chemical, or environmental allergen or variable. Urticaria can come and go. Skin infection and serious immune-mediated skin disease doesn't behave in that manner. If Ranger's vet agrees that an urticarial reaction is occurring and is severe enough to cause such anorexia, the vet should consider administering an antihistaminic glucocorticosteroid such as dexamthasone or prednisolone which should reverse the reaction.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.