Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My name is ***** ***** and I have an 11 year old german

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and I have an 11 year old german shepherd. He has had what I assume is arthritis for about the last year. When I asked the vet about it the last time I was in he said that I could give him aspirin. It has steadily gotten worse and here the last few days he is acting like it is hurting. I tried to get into the vet but they don't have an opening until next week. Is there anything I can give him to help until then? I don't like seeing him in pain.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your pet is suffering from potential osteoarthritis. Here is my multimodal approach for controlling joint pain/inflammation in pets and have shown to be effective in my patients:

1) Oral Glucosaminoglycans like Dasuquin (Nutrimaxx)- available online and may be found in some pet stores.

Adequan injections- this is only availalbe through your veterinarian and you can discuss using this at a later date if Dasuquin is not able to achieve the level of comfort desired for your pet. Adeuqan is a very strong, effective treatment but it can be costly, it requires every 1-2 week injections for a total of 6 treatments.
2) Fish oils- I would recommend pet formulated over the counter omega 3 fatty acids from your local pet store
3) Combinations of antioxidants like - Cell Advance 880 (this medication is great for older pets and is available online)

Analgesics (pain control)

I would recommend discussing with your veterinarian about prescribing either or both of the following:
5) Gabapentin- neuropathic pain modulator
6) Tramadol - opiate used for general pain management

7) Pet formulated NSAID such as Rimadyl (Carprofen) or Deramaxx instead of the previous recommendation of Aspirin.

Hopefully you can purchase some of these fairly quickly before your next appointment so that you can give him some relief soon. Like I mentioned before osteoarthritis has been studied extensively in veterinary medicine and by far the multi-modal approach is shown to be greatly effective at controlling pain in these patients than just 1 single medical treatment.

Is there anything else I can help you with today or any questions about my recommendations so far?

- Dr. H