Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Our 4 year old Rotty is panting excessively tonight it's

Customer Question

Our 4 year old Rotty is panting excessively tonight it's unusual he has eaten normal there's no vomiting or slavar ? He's also very restless up and down in and out the house should I take him to the vet he has settled a bit ATM
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No that's about it just excessive heavy panting which is unusual for him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your Rotty! Can you tell me, does his belly look bloated at all? One thing I worry about in a large dog who is panting excessively and can't seem to settle/lay down and get comfortable is bloating. Do you feel like his belly looks at all distended?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He has actually stopped panting excessively now ! Must have heard me mention going to the vet . I feel he is ok now I think I just panicked thanks for your help
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Ok, that is good! Panting for an extended period of time is of concern though, and shouldn't be ignored. If this happened after your dog had been outside of very active, you can try putting him in a cool area of the house with a fan on him for a little while and see if he improved.

Panting can be seen with pain, so it is possible he is having some discomfort somewhere in his body. This can be hard to determine because some dogs are very stoic and won't necessarily cry out when you touch them. Panting can also be a sign of respiratory disease,so if he starts again, then a vet exam is in order! good luck!