petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 10year old shih tzu is having constant muscle

Customer Question

My 10year old shih tzu is having constant muscle spasms/tremors in her neck and front shoulder. She does not act as if she is in pain. She is eating and drinking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Muscle spasms in the neck area are often set off by a bulging or ruptured intervertebral disk. Many dogs are very good at hiding pain so she may be more uncomfortable than she is letting on. If it is a disk problem, the signs can progress over time and can worsen to the point of loss of function of limbs. I would definitely advise that you have her evaluated by your veterinarian so that a thorough physical exam can be performed and a full neurologic evaluation. If a spinal disc is involved, the neuro exam can help to localize it and determine how severe it is.

Here is a link with more information about disc disease in dogs, and how it is diagnosed and treated.

LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z