Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our dog has a collapsing trachea and the associated honking

Customer Question

Our dog has a collapsing trachea and the associated honking cough. Our vet prescribed Hydrocodone for the cough. Months ago, we explained to the vet that the medication causes her to be constipated. So they lowered the dose. That dose doesn't work for her cough (which is also getting progressively worse). I'd like to switch to a different drug but don't even know what to ask for.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now for Piper, this is a case of finding an ideal balance for her. If the Hydrocodone works well for her cough but makes her constipated, then we can either use preventative treatment to counter that side effect or we can try some other medications to see if we can manage this for her. In regards ***** ***** we can reduce constipation risks by increasing dietary fiber (either via offering a fiber rich diet or adding all bran, canned pumpkin, or unflavored Metamucil to her food) and regular use of GI lubricants (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax, etc). Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** treatments, you could speak to her vet about the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, steroids, codeine, or butorphanol. Or if the cough is mild Robitussin DM (at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours) may be another option.

Overall, these can be tricky situations and it is a case of finding what works best for her. So we can consider those alternatives but if the proper dose of Hydrocodone does help, then the above anti-constipation additives may be worth initiating so we can best manage her and avoid that too.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This answer isn't what I"m looking for. I need a comprehensive list of alternatives I can take to my doctor. Is hydrocodone the only alternative? It doesn't work well enough for her to continue it. I want to know what other drugs can help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

It is not the only alternative but it tends to be one of the more effective medical options (severe cases do sometimes need surgical intervention). Otherwise, I did note our limited alternatives (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, steroids, codeine, butorphanol, or Robitussin DM). To expand on that, if it helps you, the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory options include Rimadyl, Metacam, Onsior, and Previcox. And for steroids, Medrone, Prednisone, and Prednisolone. But those are the extent of our drugs that could be used to manage this.

Take care,

Dr. B.