Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is panting and passinggums are red though so assume

Customer Question

My dog is panting and passinggums are red though so assume air flow is good cannot jump up in a chair as he usually does winces wen he does nothing seems broke or sensitive to touch
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He seems to be straining to have a Howell movement and his middle area is tight and full
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please clarify "passinggums". Panting is usually an indication of pain when you're also seeing difficulty jumping up. I first think of spinal pain as would occur with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). Supportive evidence of a disk includes difficulty jumping down and navigating stairs, trembling/shaking (pain responses), a change in posture such as holding the neck stiffly and head lower to the ground or a "hunch" in the back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Straining to defecate (constipation) is commmonly seen with a disk because it's difficult to posture to defecate when it's painful.

Your dog's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on your dog paying particular attention to his spine. If areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) are found upon palpation (feeling), a combination of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam might be prescribed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?