Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

Dog has excess gas

Customer Question

dog has excess gas
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup! Is this a problem that is causing discomfort for your dog? Is he acting normally otherwise? Or is this primarily an odor issue in your home?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
more of a issue in house.he does take 2 pills a day for his scratching, but this issue is pretty new .
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

I am going to attach a link here to an article on flatulence (excessive gas) in dogs. It will give you recommendations on things you can try to help this which include:

• Feed smaller meals several times daily instead of one larger daily meal.
  • Feed a mixture of dry and canned foods.
  • Discourage rapid eating by placing an over-turned small bowl inside the pet's regular food bowl. This prevents the pet from taking such a large mouthful.
  • Avoid soy and peas in the diet.
  • Avoid any treats containing milk, cheese or other forms of lactose.
  • Avoid fresh or dried fruit treats.
  • Change to a high digestibility/low residue diet. There are therapeutic diets sold at most veterinary offices that would be perfect. Ideally, rice would be the diet's carbohydrate source.
  • If possible, walk the dog within 30 minutes of eating so as to encourage passing gases outside.
  • Avoid canned foods containing the texturing ingredient carrageenan.

Here is the link to the article:

Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jack,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay