Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Coughing up blood and it's got a real bad smell like a

Customer Question

coughing up blood and it's got a real bad smell like a dead smell
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she coughing or vomiting blood?

3- Did she get into anything?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. she just showed up to our house today about 3 hours ago.
3.not sure.
4.not sure.

1- So this is not your dog, correct?

2- Can you tell me if she is vomiting or coughing blood; important to know the difference?

Customer: replied 7 months ago. she's my neighbors dog
2 vomiting

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see blood in the vomit it is safe to assume there could be something damaging the wall of either the esophagus (tube connecting stomach to mouth), stomach or first part of the small intestines. Less likely it can be caused by systemic diseases like liver disease, coagulation disorders, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case we are somewhat limited as to what you will be able to do at home. I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 7-10 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter