Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My 6 year old puggle is still going on the carpet and house

Customer Question

My 6 year old puggle is still going on the carpet and house why
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Bennie is still not completely house trained - I'll do everything that I can to help.

Please give me a few moments to compose my thoughts for you.

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please help
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for your patience - this is a lot of typing :)

The first thing that you should do is have Bennie evaluated by his vet (if you haven't already) to make sure that there's not a medical reason that he either can't or isn't holding his eliminations until he goes outside.

If there isn't a medical problem, then it may be that he is having a lapse in his house training.

There are two important parts to house training a dog: the first is the ‘training’ part and the second is complete and absolute supervision.

Let’s start with training - You can, and should, train a dog to pee or poop just like you can train them to sit. Go outside with your dog, (take cookies!) walk around the yard with them and tell them to ‘go potty’ or whatever word you want to use to teach them to go - just like you’d tell them to sit if you wanted them to sit. When they do go to the bathroom, keep using your 'key phrase' (in my example, I'd say 'good potty!) over and over, then as soon as they're finished, give them the cookie. It's important the the reward happen RIGHT AFTER the behavior (in this case the peeing). If you wait until they come inside, then all they learn to do is come back inside, not necessarily to pee or poop. Depending on how fast they pick it up, you can have your dog pottying on command within a few weeks.

The second part of house training is the supervision part. He can't be allowed to be out of your sight where he might have an accident. I know this is really really tough, but it's really important that you catch him before he has the opportunity to make a mistake, then give him the opportunity to do the right thing, followed by LOTS of praise. If he's been punished for peeing or pooping in the house before, often the 'take home' message is 'don't pee in front of the humans, they get angry and yell at you' which results in a dog that then sneaks off to pee where you can't see. It helps to have them drag a leash around the house attached to their collar so that if he starts to go to the bathroom you can calmly pick up the leash and lead him outside. This is less likely to scare them than you reaching for the collar to 'drag' him outside. Always make sure that once you get outside, you're prompting him to go by using your key words and rewarding him as soon as he's done peeing outside. When you can't be directly supervising him to be sure that he's not going to eliminate inside the house, it's important that he be placed in an area like a crate, pen, or directly attached to you so that he can't sneak away and have an "accident".

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)