Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My bichon 12.8 lbs ate an old max force probably. Its the

Customer Question

my bichon 12.8 lbs ate an old max force probably for roachs. Its the only thing around that a dog had chewed on. His nose is warm and he is shaking. I have him a teaspoon of peroxide after I found the chewed max force. There us maybe maybe 8-10 % of the back plastic missing and that could be on the floor, as we are in the midst of packing and moving. I was looking to see if he stole anything out of the freezer drawers. I keep chocolate high. Been there.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he was chewing on the bait?

Friend, the active ingredient in Maxforce is Fipronil which is a very safe medication in dogs, this will not be toxic. What I am concern is the plastic container. You see if he ingested the plastic it can become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. I would not try to induce vomiting, there could be sharp edges and damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the plastic out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter