Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Blood blister on eye of dog that is blind runny eye also

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Gucci appears to have a blood blister on his eye. I understand that the eye isn't sighted and is running as well.

Does his eye lesion look like those in the links below?

If so it is likely he has a descemetocele, which is a deep corneal (clear outer part of the eye) ulcer with only 1 remaining layer left that is keeping his eye from rupturing completely.

Although he is already blind this is very uncomfortable for him and if he doesn't get treatment the eye may rupture, in which case it will need to be enucleated (surgical removal of the entire eye).

Blind dogs are more likely to walk into things and thus damage their eyes or the disease process that caused him to lose his vision may have led to an ulcer developing.

Whatever happened your fellow should be seen on an emergency basis tonight to start medical therapy.

If that absolutely isn't possible you should be gently applying artificial tears every hour until he can be examined.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.