Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our biscon consumed a small amount of chives. What do I do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much did he have?

How much does he weigh?

How long ago did he eat this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not receive response and I already provided you with my credit card # ***** a cost not to exceed $28. Pl advise. I am quite Anxious.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Now we do need to tread with care in these situations. Chives are from the same family as onions and garlic and therefore do carry toxicity concerns when ingested by dogs.

Though if he only had a small amount (<15g per kilogram of his weight), then we’d consider this a low exposure dose and if anything we'd expect stomach upset (ie vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, appetite loss,etc). And thankfully, more serious issues like delayed onset anemia (from the toxin breaking down red blood cells) would be less likely.

In this situation, while we could induce vomiting if he just ate this in the past hour; if he only had a small amount then we could just plan to start supportive care as needed to keep his stomach settled. To do so, we can plan to start him on small, frequent meals of a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food) over the next few days to keep his stomach settled. If we have any signs of nausea, then we can also cover him with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @, These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't noted before.

Finally, while this sounds be a low risk situation, I wouldn't expect any other signs. Still, just to make you aware, we would want to keep an eye over the next few days that we don't see any signs of lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, an increased respiratory rate, weakness, or exercise intolerance. If we did, then that would raise concerns of the anemia I noted. But again, this is quite unlikely to arise from a bit of chive.

Overall, chives in large doses can be harmful. Still, if he has eaten a small volume it could cause GI upset here. Therefore, we'd want to monitor, provide supportive care, and put him on a light diet. As long as he settles over the next 24 hours and has no paling of his gums or belly pain, we'd not be worried about toxicity with this.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Dr. I will adhere to the diet recommendations AND pray I didn't harm our beloved Rallo. Thank you. GOD speed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B