Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a 1/2 box of samoas last night (girl scout

Customer Question

hi my dog ate a 1/2 box of samoas last night (girl scout cookies) and he was fine all night and just now started throwing up and is laying down lethargic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no nothing at all. He isn't warm or anything like that. He only threw up three times in small amounts, look like it was his dog for food
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
JA: Waiting to talk to the expert reminds me of the time I talked to an expert when I had problems with my new cats. My three cats all came from a rescue mission and were scrawny scared little creatures when I got them. Who could ever be mean to a cat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does your lad weigh?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
15 pounds
he did eat and his gums are pale pink not sticky no discomfort in belly
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
haven't tried water
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he's a cockapoo breed, gets into everything loves garbage I try very hard to deter him from things, but yesterday i had the cookies on a table in the box and he tore open the box and def went to town! he is very alert and looking around and had no problem me pressing on him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now in this situation, we do have a few concerns for the signs we are seeing with your lad. It is possible the delayed vomiting and lethargy is related to the small volume of cocoa contained in these cookies. Otherwise, our main concerns here would be gastroenteritis or pancreatitis due to this overindulgence.

With these in mind, we will want to start supportive care to counter his current signs. Since he isn't sore (a sign we often see with pancreatitis), we'd want to start by treating with an OTC antacid. Common pet safe options include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that has had time to take effect, we'd be best to see he can drink for us. If he can keep down sips of water (we don't want to let him have large volumes all at once), we can then plan to try a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Of course, offer this as small frequent meals to start and we can increase as he steadies.

Overall, while these cookies can trigger gastroenteritis and pancreatitis, we are lucky he didn't get a chocolate rich one like the Thin Mints. Therefore, in this case, we'd want to start supportive care as I outlined above and we should hopefully be able to get his stomach settled and get him feeling more like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much! I will find the right dose and begin his treatment! I appreciate it ! All the best
Michelle (and Logan ; >)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, Michelle.

I am glad I could be of help for Logan and yourself. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet