Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My lab a popping noise in back upper leg. Came out of no

Customer Question

Hi my lab a popping noise in back upper leg. Came out of no where. My lab is 12 years old. Not if it is tissue problem, or arthritis problem. She can sit up then finally gets all the way up, then hobbles around on three legs, just started this morning, any suggestions? Thanks ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well I will try. Came home last night and found here this way. No sure what happen during the day. Does not seen to be in any pain that i can see. she was going in the back yard this morning and I heard the popping noise, seems to be up higher. Not sure if I need medication because she starting to get older, or wait a few days to see what happens. I thought maybe stretching her leg and see what happens, but not sure if I should.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This popping noise you hear is probably due to arthritis that is allowing joint fluid to move through the joint that causes this noise. This can cause pain making her want to move only on 3 legs. The best thing you can do for your sweet gal is to start her on daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store. This will add lubrication to her joints to minimize this pain and the "popping" noise. Also, when she has these bad days, give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease inflammation and pain. Your vet will have stronger medications for this if it get worse.

You are doing great for your gal but these medications will help her even more.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the reply, I will try it. Mike

Good for you, Mike. I really believe that this will help make your sweet gal more comfortable. This cannot be cured but medications will help her feel better.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta