Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a female she has a swollen vagina and bleeding is

Customer Question

My dog is a female she has a swollen vagina and bleeding is this normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she spayed?

2- Is she drinking more than usual?

3- Is she lethargic?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Vomiting white and not eating much

1- Is she spayed?

2- Is she drinking more than usual?

3- Is she lethargic?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can we talk on text
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is not spade or the other questions

Yes we can speak on this thread. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, a bloody vaginal discharge with swelling of the vagina could be normal when a dog is in heat (estrus). However, the fact that she is vomiting and not eating this could be a sign of underlying medical disorder. It is important to rule out a "pyometra" which is an infection of the uterus. This is a surgical emergency, untreated it could be fatal. There could be other causes like vaginitis, urinary tract infections, cervical tumors, etc. But, at this point it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick xray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked by ER vet and not wait. Holding on treatment can have fatal consequences, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!