Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our dog has a BUN level of 90 and a Cr of 11.1. Can he

Customer Question

Our dog has a BUN level of 90 and a Cr of 11.1. Can he survive with this much kidney damage?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie. He's a 2 yo Weimarener. He ate a bunch of apples as a pup and suffered kidney damage then that never fully recovered. 3 weeks ago he had surgery to remove a piece of bark that he ingested and made its way to his small intestine. Since his surgery he hasn't had much appetite. We brought him back several times post op and changed his food and made other small changes and then yesterday we ran labs and his kidney function has gone out the window with the labs as mentioned above. He's in the hospital now with elevated BUN, Cr, phos, ca and WBC. They are given him ABX and fluids. I'm just concerned that this damage is beyond the point of return. ...... Can a young dog with pre-exsisiting kidney disease rebound form labs this abnormal?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Charlie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: "Digest that" I'm not sure I understand. He ate the apples almost two years ago but this latest "bark - wood chip" incedent was just 3 weeks ago.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now Charlie's situation is a precarious one and his prognosis will hinge on his response to his vet treating with IV fluids. These should lower those kidney toxins and our hope is that their build up was due to kidney damage (cell inflammation) and not kidney cell death. It is the latter that causes us the most problem because if the cells cannot recover, they cannot filter wastes (like urea, creatinine) and these toxins will increase again once he is o fluids leading to the signs we are seeing.

That all said, in regards ***** ***** actual question, it is important to know that the numbers are important for diagnosing kidney issues but are not as useful for predicting survival. This is because individual dogs tolerate elevated levels differential. Those with a chronic history like Charlie are more likely to tolerate a higher level and therefore have a better prognosis. This is because it slowly rose over time or maintained at a higher level then other dogs and his body will be used to it. So, if we can get that level down to a more manageable level, Charlie has a decent chance of tolerating and living with his reduced kidney function. Its those dogs that have sudden damage and spikes in these toxins that tend not to be able to cope with a BUN of 90.

In any case, you are on the right track with your treatment and we need to flush those kidneys. Otherwise, given his chronic history, you may want to talk to your vet about kidney supportive drugs (ie Fortekor, Azodyl), antacids (if he has had any secondary GI upset) and the use of subcutaneous fluids (More Info- Video) at home to keep the kidneys flushed and keep him as stable as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?