Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog just began pacing all over the house and lays down

Customer Question

My dog just began pacing all over the house and lays down but gets right back up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Smalls and approximately 10 months old. He also was laying around all day and would not play outside much.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smalls?
Customer: I don't think so. It all just started suddenly about an hour ago with the pacing
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such behavior is seen with unrelenting pain or a change in mentation (mental status) due to encephalopathy (brain disorder). Which breed is Smalls, please? Does Smalls continue to engage with you? Respond to you? If Smalls is aimlessly pacing - particularly in wide circles - a brain disorder involving his cerebrum or thalamus (forebrain) is present. Smalls will need a thorough physical and neurologic exam at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.