Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Dr E- My dog who is vomiting foamy bile is not drinking or

Customer Question

Dr E- My dog who is vomiting white foamy bile is not drinking or taking ice. His gums are black, so it is difficult to determine the color of his gums.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

The fact he isn't drinking is definitely a concern. As you can imagine, if he keeps vomiting up bile, but isn't drinking, then dehydration is a real concern. You could try making up a chicken broth for him to see if that can tempt him. For this, just boil up some chicken breast until cooked, scoop of the solids, let the liquid cool and feed him the cooled broth. If he is turning his nose up at that, or can't keep it down, he will be best off at your local ER vet where they can keep an eye on him and give him some intravenous fluids overnight.

Don't panic about the mucus membrane color or refill time as is sounds like your boy has pigmented gums. You could carefully roll one of his eyelids down. the inside of the lower eyelid should be a nice salmon pink color (don't try and press it for the refill time!).

Best of luck with your boy and do try the chicken broth if you can. You can reply to me here for more help should you need it.

Kind Regards,

Dr E