Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Our yellow lab, 7.5 years old, 74 lbs, ate part of her

Customer Question

our yellow lab, 7.5 years old, 74 lbs, ate part of her dinner, threw it up, then ate the second half, 3 hours ago. she refused to take a walk after that. i am ready to go to bed and she seems to have labored breathing and a dry, warm nose. i took her temp. with a basal thermometer in her rectum in it says 103.5.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i am afraid to go upstairs to bed if there is something wrong with her. my husband put chlorine in the pool earlier today - could she have inhaled some powder or eaten some?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Occasional vomiting in dogs, especially if they are still willing to eat and drink isn't always a serious problem, but when they have vomiting and labored breathing together it does suggest something serious. Chlorine powder is very caustic to the mouth, esophagus, and stomach and could definitely cause the symptoms that you are seeing. It can cause painful ulcers in all these areas and could potentially lead to the low grade fever that you are seeing. It sounds like you should seek treatment tonight and not wait until the morning. If she really licked chlorine then they can start her on some medications to coat and protect her stomach. Is there an emergency veterinarian you can take her to tonight?