Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 10 year old puggle was perfectly healthy and jumping and

Customer Question

my 10 year old puggle was perfectly healthy and jumping and running around and by 3 pm he was dazed and collapsed on the floor. took him to vet and he was diagnoised with fluid around the heart and he died 7 hours later, why wouldn't he have shown any symptons before this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

My condolences for your loss of your Puggle. I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify "fluid around the heart" for me, please? Are you describing a pericardial effusion - fluid between his heart and his pericardial membrane - the membrane surrounding his heart or did the fluid collect in his chest cavity - a thoracic effusion? A pericardial effusion can cause acute collapse but there should have been a history of lethargy or exercise intolerance and perhaps abdominal distension, dyspnea (difficulty breathing), pale mucous membranes, and inappetence.

I see that you posted two duplicates of this question. You confirmed pericardial effusion. Rapid deterioration including sudden death is seen with this effusion. While unusual not to see the history I posted above, it's not impossible as it may occur as an incidental finding during echocardiography, associated with cardiomegaly on radiographs or electrocardiogram changes. Please continue our conversation if you wish.