Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He has a dry nose and is wobbly and lisis, Oscar he is 5

Customer Question

He has a dry nose and is wobbly and lisis
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oscar he is 5 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A dry nose is a nonspecific finding but wobbliness and listlessness are important symptoms of both systemic weakness - perhaps from profound anemia or infection - and neurologic disorders. Please check Oscar's vital signs for me:

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

If any of the above are abnormal, Oscar needs to see a vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.