Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What can I give my pet fox relief after part of her tail was

Customer Question

What can I give my pet fox for pain relief after part of her tail was amputated? She is biting and attacking her tail. I just need it to get her through until I can call her vet in the morning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Grey fox. 2 years old
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog is in discomfort. I would first and foremost try benadryl to help with the itch but will also allow her to rest comfortably tonight. 1 mg/ pound every 4-6 hours overnight should help with the discomfort and itch enough to get you through the night and hopefully allow your veterinarian to prescribe something for her in the morning

I wouldn't advise any over the counter pain medication because it will interact with what your veterinarian will prescribe in the morning (it requires a 48 hour wash out period after medications like aspirin are administered) and the prescription will be much more effective in getting her comfortable

So benadryl 1 mg/ pound as well as icing if she will allow you to which will help numb until the morning (in 10 minute intervals)

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is a grey fox - not a dog. Is benadryl still okay?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't believe benadryl is a pain relief. Am I correct? I'm not sure you understand. She is VICIOUSLY attacking her tail.

Ah I apologizeI misunderstood as there are fox breeds of dogs

Yes you are correct that it is not a pain medication but it is safe for foxes as well. Often after an amputation it isn't necessarily pain we are treating but more the itch and "phantom" pain associated with the amputation so treating the itch and the benadryl will also help sedate it will get you through the night. I would be even more hesitant to do aspirin in a fox versus benadryl which will be safe

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today

I am online another 20 minutes if I can be of any further assistance

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She's bleeding quite a bit. I still don't think itch is the problem here.

OK you didn't mention the bleeding. I would definitely ice the area which will cause vasoconstriciton and staunch the bleeding along with not allowing chewing and keeping her quiet. Unfortunately if there is active bleeding I really cannot recommend an over the counter pain medication which will reduce clotting time and increase bleeding.

I can certainly opt out to see if another expert can assist you further

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please. She is a fox that thinks something is attacking her tail so she is attacking back. As sweet as she is, icing down is NOT an option as I like keeping my fingers. I would take her to a vet, but I do not have the after hours number to the only vet that will see her. This is not to avoid a late night vet bill. She needs help. I used some dermoplast and it seems to help a little, but I doubt it lasts long.

OK I will opt out in hopes of someone else being able to assist you both. Good luck to you tonight, truly. Please do not respond again until another expert enters the chat