Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 5yr old pit has a swollen and red and tender it was

Customer Question

hi my 5yr old pit bull has a swollen and red and tender butt it was normal this morning .
her diet was normal yesterday except a piece of broccoli that I dropped and she ate . her bowl movement is normal.
she is playful and other than sitting it's not bothering her to much . any ideas do I need to see a vet or just watch?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she licking or rubbing her butt on the floor?

2- Is the swelling on the anal sphincter or on the skin next to the sphincter?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not rubbing or licking swelling is skin next to sphincter

Can you post a picture for me to see?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hope you can see it she not cooperating

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I can't really see the area that well. But, it appears that the swelling could be an impacted/infected anal gland. Basically what is happening is that the anal gland duct is occluded, when this happens the anal gland can rupture through the side of the butt. So, it is possible that this could rupture. I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to express her anal gland. For tonight you can apply warm compresses on the area for 5 minutes 3-4 times a day. If you have a topical steroid like cortisone or hydrocortisone you can apply to the area as well. Do Not let her lick this region, she will make it worst.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitty. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter