Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a pomeranian that is about 11 years old. He has had a

Customer Question

I have a pomeranian that is about 11 years old. He has had a slight hacking cough (coughs and sounds as if he is going to throw up, but does not) for many years now. Starting about this time last year it got much worse. We went on vacation from MN to NC and it got really bad. He was coughing most of the day, exercise or not. The vet did some tests, found a very slight murmur and a little fluid in his lungs. She ordered an ultrasound and byou that time the meds cleared up the fluid and sounded as if he was improving. Nothing out of the ordinary on the ultrasound, but his heart may be a tiny bit enlarged. He has been on a low dose steriod for about 9 months. I thought it helped abs then I thought it wasn't helping enough so I weaned him off and then realized it was helping and weaned him back on. At this point his coughing/hacking is getting worse. The vet doesn't have other ideas and thinks he'll live out his normal life. I have a very hard time watching and hearing him cough all day and night
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has he been rechecked recently regarding his heart and fluid in the lungs?