Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My recently rescued, older dog has what appears to be dried

Customer Question

My recently rescued, older dog has what appears to be dried poop stuck in his anus. I gave him a warm bath & got some out, but he won't let me touch that area anymore. He has to be sooo uncomfortable. Can I give him anything by mouth to help him?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's an approximately 10 yr old Griffin Verdeen/Bassett Hound mix. Rescued him in October. This has not happened with him before.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the feces in the anal opening or the hair around the anus?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Are you asking about a stool softener?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It appears to be in his anus opening. Weighs abt 30 lbs. I'm just asking how to help him since he won't let me touch that area at all now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He keeps rubbing his behind on my wood floors.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, it sounds like he may be constipated. I will give you some recommendation below on how to make his stool softer. But, you need to manually remove and clean the feces around the anal sphincter. I would have him checked by your groomer to trim the hair around the sphincter. In addition, they can put him in a bath of warm water to remove the feces. If you want to try again you can pick up an ecollar (cone) up in your local pet store, having the ecollar on will give you better control of his back end and protect you from getting bit. It would help to have another person help you to hold his head with the ecollar on. To loosen the stool this is what you can try:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 1/2 to 1 tablespoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have him checked by a veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter