Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He ate a pork bone and now he can't poop and he's not moving

Customer Question

He ate a pork bone and now he can't poop and he's not moving around much. He tries to poop but cant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 10,oscar
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Today I've been having to make him drink water
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your pup! Given your description, the safest thing to do for him would be to get him in to your vet for an exam. We want to be sure this is just a case of constipation and not also an inestinal blockage, which can become life threatening if it goes untreated. Your vet can perform an exam, a rectal exam, and take an x-ray if needed to ensure there isn't a problem other than the constipation. If it is constipation alone, they can then give some fluids to help hydrate your dog and aid in the stool becoming softer, prescribe a laxative such as laxatone, and in some cases perform an enema. Truly, in his case, with a history of bone ingestion and lethargy, a visit to the vet is needed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would giving him an enema help?
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

We normally don't recommend having owners give enemas at home because we want to be sure there isn't another issue (inestinal obstruction), we want to be sure we can't feel sharp bone fragments that could cause issues on the way out, and we often need to rehydrate them with some fluids before or at the time of giving an enema. An enema may be needed, but the safest thing to do is to have your vet check him out and perform one if needed.