Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog doesn't want to eat since two days, and has diarrhea,

Customer Question

my dog doesn't want to eat since two days, and has diarrhea , my husband gave him some of his food from Polo Tropical 3 day ago , can that have anything to do with it? What should i do? Thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is very quiet, and looks sad, but she is still bagging when I eat, she would eat any snacks i give her, but I do not want to give her anything until she eats her dogfood
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your dog doesn't have an appetite since eating Pollo Tropical a few days ago. Being from Miami I know a lot of the dishes are made with onions which can definitely have effects on the blood in dogs. It also can cause stomach upset so if there is no improvement with my guidelines please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to rule out the need for medical intervention

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

I know you would prefer the dog food but this is much more bland and bulking which is what we want with gi upset. Once eating well and the diarrhea is resolving you can slowly return to her normal food over an additional 3-5 days

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman