Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Newly diagnosed insulin dependent diabetic rat terrier. This

Customer Question

Newly diagnosed insulin dependent diabetic rat terrier. This is day 4 of insulin 3 of u40 vetsulin twice daily at 12p and 12a because of work schedule. I need exercise him around 9 am, before his meal at noon. Should I give a small snack and what should that be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

A snack is OK but it would need to be given every day because good glycemic control depends upon the same amount of calories ingested each day. It's not essential that you give a snack but Paco would appreciate it. The jerky sounds good because it's high protein and low carbohydrate. The diabetic food is ideal. You could bake small "cookies" of the food and use them as treats. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.