Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has a black spot about half way up in the middle of s

Customer Question

my dog has a black spot about half way up in the middle of his tongue. Should I be worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has he always had the black spot or this is something new?

2- Is there any swelling?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1 something new no swelling

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, there are certain breeds that will have a black tongue or spots that are black on their tongue and this is completely normal (see list below).

Now, if the tongue was not or never had a black spot this darkening could be what is called "hyperpigmentation." This usually occurs secondary to an inflammatory process as a result of infections, allergies, etc. What happens is that inflammatory cells (macrophages) release melanin during the inflammatory response, the melanin causes the pigment to turn black. The black color will likely not go away, it is not harmful just a consequence of inflammation. Finally, we can sometimes see hyperpigmentation with certain types of tumors like Melanoma.

In this case, I would recommend having family veterinarian examine his tongue to rule in a normal pigment vs a pathological condition as described above.

Please follow the link below so you can see breeds of dogs with a black tongue or spots that are black.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dogsbreed/blacktongue.htm

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter