Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was walking backwards earlier and doing the arched

Customer Question

hey ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my dog was walking backwards earlier and doing the arched back her right leg, she wasnt putting a lot of weight on it.. i thought she had a splinter but noticed her stool seemed smaller than usual
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i noticed her avoiding her food.. so i get the sense she was ate a bad batch of food. after switching her food, she ate everything.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i also gave her some coconut oil to soothe her stomach.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any history of trauma, injury, slips or falls?

Did she strain or struggle to pass that stool?

Was her stool hard or soft?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no history of trauma or injury. she looks like shes straining to pass stool
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now walking backwards and arching are signs we can see associated with abdominal and hip/hind end pain in dogs. Often they walk backwards as if they can escape the discomfort. And I would note, we could see it due to constipation but can see a reluctance to pass stool due to discomfort.

Now if she has no history of trauma or injury to explain her discomfort (and isn't sore anywhere you palpate), we can consider trying to help her pass feces and at least remove constipation as a concern for her. To do so, I would advise starting with some supportive care. First, we sometimes find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).
Further to all of this, and along the vein of increasing fiber in the diet, I would just note that you could also consider mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water).

If we use these alongside the new food and settles, we are happy. Though if we can get her to pass stool and she remains uncomfortable, we'd have to be concerned about underlying pain. And in that case, we'd want to have her vet examine her for discomfort +/- start her on dog safe pain relief.

Overall, your lass's signs do raise a few concerns. Therefore, at this point, we can use the above with the new batch of food to see if we can settle this for her. Of course, if she doesn't settle, appears more sore, or this continues even once we get a normal stool passing; then we'd want to have her vet have a feel of her to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of gut blockage or impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )