Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Three year old chyorkie played with four dogs today. Noticed

Customer Question

Three year old chyorkie played with four dogs today. Noticed a limp in one leg no yelping when touched. Last hour or so acting anxious. Wont go to bed. Shaking tail down. Not his normal behavior at all
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Which leg is it?

Can he bear weight on it at all?

Can you comfortably flex/extend all the joints in this leg?

Any swellings or sore areas in particular?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Left front leg . It seems better this morning. It is his behavior that is troubling. Acting skittish, shaking, wont lay down seems to be just staring off. Tail is down. Would not sleep in bed last night. His behavior is totally differrent
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Actually, all of those behaviors are not uncommon in a dog that is sore and feeling vulnerable. They are all non-specific but something we see when they are worried that any further handling could cause more pain and discomfort. As well, his change of sleep site is quite common as well and often thought to be a defensive behavior (moving to a place where they are "safer"). So, overall this isn't a worry as much of a sign that he was very sore last night even if he was putting on a brave face.

In any case, if he is walking better on it today, hen we'd suspect just a muscle or tendon strain/sprain. Since he is able to put weight on it and isn't dragging it, more serious issues like spinal damage, dislocations, or fractures would be less likely.

With all that in mind, we do want to keep resting him at this stage and will need to do so for a few days (just as we'd rest a sprained ankle). While doing do so, you will want to make sure he isn't jumping on/off things, using stairs, and walks should just be lead walks into the garden to do his business and back to resting.

Furthermore, if he is very sore, he has no health issues, and isn't on any other medications, you can give him a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE @ once to twice daily after food. Of course, if his signs linger, then we'd want a check with his vet to have this assessed further for him and to have strong dog safe pain relief dispense if needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I believe you are correct. Big improvement in the little guy. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that he is feeling better. :)

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

**Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )