Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

She is terrified to have her nails cut. can I sedate her? no

Customer Question

she is terrified to have her nails cut. can I sedate her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no but her nails are very long.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kakay shes a rescue boxer mix trained as a service dog for my autistic son
JA: How old is Kakay?
Customer: 41/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kakay?
Customer: no she cooperates with everything else except this.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your problem with Kakay! Unfortunately this can be a tough issue with dogs. Many can be trained with patience and positive reinforcement to allow us to trim their nails, but this can take a long time, and sometimes we cannot wait that long if we need to trim the nails now. If that is the case, then often a sedative is the best choice. The only sedatives that truly work for dogs who really are very anxious about this problem are by prescription of a vet, so I would strongly recommend that you discuss this issue with her vet. Many vet offices offer nail trims as a service as well, and sometimes a dog may not cooperate at home for nail trims may do ok at the vet's office with people who are used to doing this procedure, so you may consider just getting it done there as well (though some dogs need sedation for this as well!).

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

And for long term solutions, I highly recommend reading through this article for ideas on getting your dog used to nail trims: http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-grooming/train-your-pet-love-grooming-and-nail-trims

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to let you know, I just saw this yesterday online. I don't have any experience with it, so I can't tell you if it truly works, but it is another idea for your pup: http://www.beckkyboard.com/