Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Hav an old girl who is rejecting her dog food but loves

Customer Question

Hav an old girl who is rejecting her dog food but loves plain canned this ok to give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your old pup isn't interested in her dog food - I'll do my best to help

In the short term, it's not bad for her to eat some canned tuna. However, if this is going on for more than a few days, then I'd suggest having her examined by your vet to be sure that there's not a medical issue causing her decrease in appetite. If she's medically cleared, then you could definitely start experimenting around with different brands, flavors, and textures of food to see if you can entice her into eating something new. Tuna by itself is not a nutritionally complete and balanced meal for long term feeding in a dog. In order to make it so, you'd need to consult a nutrition service ( like ) to "build" the correct home made diet and recommend the correct supplements to make it all complete and balanced.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)