Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is staring up at the ceiling, and walking into things,

Customer Question

He is staring up at the ceiling, and walking into things, Also appears that he can't see or hear much and he is walking in circles and failing to enagage in long established routines - he's a 13 year old cocker spaniel - has had long tern ear issues, but these symptoms cam on i last 24 hours
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I didn't see anything and he's not favoring any paw
JA: What is the cocker spaniel's name?
Customer: Dudley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dudley?
Customer: When he was 2 he survived the autoimmune disorder that wipes out the red blood cells ( I'm sorry I can't remember the exact name)
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this. His circling is the clue to an encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving his forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. Both intracranial (within the skull) etiologies such as brain tumor and extracranial (outside the skull) etiologies such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys which are intoxicating his brain are considered. Dudley's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Dudley including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. The hope is that those tests will spot something that might be addressed in a conservative manner. When testing reveals nothing untoward, MRI is recommended - advanced imaging I would be circumspect about performing in such an elderly dog.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was the totally wrong answer - dog has cataracts and is perfectly healthy! Was up all night thinking he was dying!!!

He may have cataracts but cataracts don't form in 24 hours nor do symptoms come on in that short of time. Symptoms should have been slowly progressive as the cataracts worsened. I'm not going to argue with success, however. I would continue to watch him carefully.