Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 2 year old chihuahua. She has a red, hard raised

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old chihuahua. She has a red, hard raised "pimple" above her left eye...Any ideas
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Are you able to post a picture of this pimple? That is the way we can help you best, ***** ***** would be a total guess. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i can not post a picture...Can we facetime?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Dan for you. Please take a look at these images of histiocytomas and tell me if that "pimple" resembles any of the images:

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this is it. hard to the pain no drainage...what is it???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what do i do???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please respond

You don't need to do anything because histiocytomas reach a certain size and then crumble away unaided within 8-12 weeks. You might hasten that occurring by rubbing an over the counter hydrocortisone cream into the tumor thrice daily. A histiocytoma is a benign tumor composed of mononuclear cells dervied from epidermal Langerhans' cells. (Terrific cocktaik party talk...) They most often arise in dogs younger than 5 years and often on the head, ear pinnae (flaps) and legs. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously (uncommon).

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
will this reoccur??

The great majority of these are solitary and always stay gone once gone. If a dog is going to have a tumor, have a histiocytoma!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.