Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have had a rescue dog since he was a 4 months. He's almost

Customer Question

I have had a rescue dog since he was a 4 months. He's almost 2 years. He's very anxious and you never know if he will bite. I was told he is a high energy mixed breed and needs lots of exercise. My daughter is on her way in from college and bringing a puppy that's about 9 weeks, also a rescue. I'm concerned and was wondering ICU couldgive my 68 lb. dog (Shepard , lab, and border collie mix) Ativan .
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm concerned about my dog being aggressive towards the puppy.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I understand your concern. Ativan (lorazepam) has been useful as an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) drug in dogs or as an alternative to diazepam for treating status epilepticus (persistent seizures). Dosing for fears, anxieties, and phobias varies somewhat but usually range from 0.01-0.1 mg/lb (0.68 - 6.8 mg for your dog) 1-2 times daily or on an as needed basis. It's difficult to know, however, if lorazepam is appropriate for reducing his aggression to the pup. The benzodiazepines such as lorazepam have fallen out of favor because they have the potential to sedate, cause incoordination, and increase appetite, and - most important - they may disinhibit leading to increased aggression.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?