Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog ***** ***** is a 14year old golden retriever and has

Customer Question

My dog ***** ***** is a 14year old golden retriever and has been on Tramadol and Metacam for the last couple years. He has been having a really hard time walking lately. My vet recommended taking him off Tramadol and to start giving him Gabapentin. I've been reading a lot of blogs and it seems most people give both the Tramadol and Gabapentin together but at lower doses What do you suggest?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has severe arthritis in his back legs and can barely get up anymore. He weighs about 100 lbs. He also takes Metacam and a small dose of a steroid.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now the key to situations like this is to find the best treatment plan for the individual patient. Therefore, both treatment options are potential ones we can consider with your lad. That said, I would be inclined to try him on the Gabapentin without the Tramadol at this stage. There is a recent study out that has shown that Tramadol isn't as effective in dogs as it is in people. Therefore, we'd be best to substitute with a drug we know will work better for him. Of course, if we need to, we can add the Tramadol back in if need be at any point but it'd be worth seeing how he does with just the Gabapentin and Metacam as it may be a simpler but more effective option for him in the long run.

Finally, just since you noted Metacam and steroids, please be aware that those 2 drugs shouldn't be used together as they do share common adverse effect pathways and would put him at higher risk of stomach ulcers and stomach upset. If they do have to be used together, then we need to have your lad on gastroprotectants or at least an antacid to protect his stomach.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )