Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has had excessive thirst lately. Over the last week

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has had excessive thirst lately. Over the last week she has been getting progressively weaker.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), pyometra (infected uterus if she's unspayed), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Her vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying. Time is of the essence particularly because she is now progressively weakening.

How old and which breed is your dog, please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is 7 years old and is an Anerican Bulldog.

Thank you. Has she been spayed? If not, when was her last heat period?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No...she appears to be in heat now. Although the blood isn't as heavy as it usually is.

I'm concerned that what you're seeing may not be a heat period but, instead, the discharge associated with an open pyometra - a purulent endometritis with an open cervix allowing uterine discharge to escape through her vagina. Don't hesitate to have her vet check a vaginal cytology (microscopic exam of the vaginal cells) to see which stage of her heat cycle your dog is in. A complete blood count is important as well. If her white blood cell count is significantly elevated, pyometra is likely.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am a home health aide and this dog belongs to my client, but they can't afford a vet visit. So I am doing my best to get the money together to get her to a vet...I love this dog like my own. I just took her out and she didn't have the strength to climb the few steps back onto the porch.

I understand. She's in trouble. Perhaps an SPCA can help you. Many vet hospitals offer CareCredit - a revolving credit account that can only be used for vet services. Some hospitals have "Fido funds" which contain donations from good Samaritans and are used for owners with financial constraints.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?