Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 8 1/2 year old boxer started coughing and acking

Customer Question

Our 8 1/2 year old boxer started coughing and acking yesterday morning. She stopped after eating and remained peaceful during the day. Just before I returned from work she started coughing again. The coughing stopped after she ate and returned briefly at bedtime. When we awoke this morning the coughing reappeared but stopped again after she ate.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the boxer will be able to digest that. What is the boxer's name?
Customer: Phoebe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Phoebe?
Customer: She showed signs of ACL distress in her left rear leg. I administer Matacam for four days as a pain reliever.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago was her last dose of Metacam?

Is she on canned or dry food?

Any changes to her breathing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's been five days since I stopped the Metacam. She eats only canned food. No changes in her breathing, but she typically snores when sleeping.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Based on your Phoebe signs, this sounds highly suspicious of a mild tracheal irritation or esophagitis. Both could cause coughing and both would respond to eating as the food would coat the sore esophagus. In regards ***** ***** this could be a mild inflammation from esophageal abrasion (from something she ate), acid reflux, bacterial or viral tracheitis or upper airway infections.

Now if her signs are mild, we can try some supportive care to at least soothe her cough and give the throat time to settle. To start, you can try to soothe this by giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Otherwise, since she is eating, we could give a few more days of Metacam as it will reduce throat inflammation as well. Of course, this can only be given if she has no appetite issues, belly discomfort, vomiting or diarrhea. Finally, if she is prone to acid reflux, you could cover your bases by using a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia -0.5tsp every 8 hours) before Metacam to coat her throat and stomach.

Overall, her signs support a mild irritation in the trachea or esophagus. Therefore, since her signs are mild and she is eating, we can use the above supportive care. Of course, if her signs persist after a few days, then we'd want to plan to have her see her vet to rule out infectious causes and have antibiotics dispensed if needed.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet