Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I let my 4 year old poodle out to go to the bathroom and he

Customer Question

I let my 4 year old poodle out to go to the bathroom and he was fine after being out in the yard for about 2o minutes i went to let him in and when i called him he just sat. When i walked to him he ust looked up at me .. He was unable to use his back legs and was dragging the backside of himself. From the middle of his stomache down...No sign of swelling or any type of marks are on his body.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did this start?

Any chance of a fall, slip, or injury outside?

Can he move his back legs at all on his own?

If you pinch a back toe, does he react like he feels it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About 7 pm yesterday evening so its been almost 12 hours. No i dont think so he was on his leed so as to not get in the road. He has no movement in his back legs at all. no feeling in his feet.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also when i found him his penis was out i dont know if this has anything to ddo with it r helps at all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we do have a range of concerns for your lad's signs. That said, if we have no history of trauma and he has no movement or feeling in those back legs; then we are in an urgent situation. This is because these signs suggest a problem in the spine.

In regards ***** ***** we'd be concerned that he may have thrown a clot (blood clot or cartilage one) into the spine or we may have an issue with one of his intervertebral discs. For disc disease, these can become suddenly inflamed, rupture, or protrude into the spinal canal and compress the spine. When this happens we can have sudden hind limb paralysis that needs to be treated (some can be managed with anti-inflammatories, others need surgery) urgently to get them mobile. Less common issues that could also appear this way tumors, abscesses, and spinal inflammation.

As well, I do have to note that if his penis is extruded, this needs to be placed back into the prepuce. Hopefully, it is not swollen and you can do this for him. If it were stuck out and swollen, red/purple, and couldn't be replaced; then that too would be an emergency since circulation compromise could lead to penile tissue actually drying. So, we need that back in if it is still out.

Overall, I am very concerned about your lad; especially with his lack of feeling in those back legs. We'd be very worried he has thrown a clot or that disc is compressing his spine. Therefore, this unfortunately not something that can be managed at home an we'd really want him seen as quickly as possible to give him the best chance of responding to treatment here.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?