Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Nothing yet. I take metropolol and dropped a pill on the

Customer Question

Nothing yet. I take metropolol and dropped a pill on the floor. My dog ate it. Should i do anything?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maya; age 9 months, 25 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

How many milligrams (mg) was your metoprolol, please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
25 MG

Thank you. 25 mg in a 11.4 kg (25 lb) dog = 2.2 mg/kg. Doses as high as 3 mg/kg have been noted in dogs. There's limited information available on metoprolol overdosage. The most predominant clinical signs reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center were lethargy, tachycardia (rapid heart rate), vomiting, and bradycardia (slow heart rate). it would be prudent to induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 2 measuring tablespoons (30 mL) given in a small poultry baster placed between Maya's cheek teeth and cheek. Maya should vomit within 15 minutes; if not, please repeat the same dose. Inducing emesis is predicated upon Maya's ingesting the pill within the hour. Please keep me posted.

I have to leave my computer for the night and so I'll opt out which will open our conversation to other vets if you still need to consult.

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I see that the other expert Dr. Salkin had to leave the conversation because he is turning in for the night.

I will follow-up and say that with 1 pill of Metoprolol I would not expect to cause any lasting effects. I actually don't see the need to cause vomiting at this point. This medication is eliminated from the pets system fairly quickly so I would not expect any long term effects at this point. You may see some mild sedation but I don't expect anything beyond that and a return of normal activity is expected within 12 hrs.

Is there anything else I can help you with concerning Maya?

- Dr. H

If you have no further questions or concerns at this time I will ask that you please provide a rating for the service that you have received tonight as this is how the experts on the site are credited for taking the time to assist you with your pet concerns. I thank you and hope you have a good rest of your night.

Best regards,
Dr. H