Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Deb, My golden retriever, Olive, has what looks like to be a

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Deb,
My golden retriever, Olive, has what looks like to be a ruptured cyst on her nose that is oozing puss. I took her to the vet yesterday and he gave her antibiotics and told us to come back in two weeks if she had not healed. Olive is ten years old and has never had any health issues. This "cyst" popped up suddenly a few days ago, after a five day stay at a kennel. I did not notice anything peculiar until she had what looked like a skinned nose that would not heal on its own. The vet is not having me clean the injury or keep her (or our other dog) from licking it. I am worried that Olive needs more aggressive medical treatment, and that by "waiting" for over two weeks (our next appointment is March 29), we are waisting time. Please advise.
Thank you,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

Hello,this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Olive! It sounds like she oculd perhaps have a sebaceous cyst. These are pretty common in older dogs, and can pup up quickly in some (or may not be very obvious in a dog with a long hair coat). If your dog seems energetic and not bothered by the cyst, then waiting a week or two to see if the cyst will heal on its own is not an uncommon recommendation. Many of these cysts will close back up, but usually will remain and can reopen in the future. If this occurs, then surgical removal is usually needed to get rid of the cyst completely. Here is an article on this problem:

I would recommend keeping her from licking the area if she has been bothering by using an e-collar, and keeping the area clean with warm soapy water to clean the outside, and you can apply a warm wet washrag for 5 to 10 minutes a few times a day to encourage drainage while there is drainage inside the cyst.