Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have a 75 lb dog and accidentally gave her a double dose

Customer Question

We have a 75 lb dog and accidentally gave her a double dose of tramadol - instead of only 150mg (3 pills of 50mg each), we gave her 3 pills at 7:30 this evening and another 3 pills at 9:45 this evening. Will this harm our 16 year old?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: We have a 75 lb dog and accidentally gave her a double dose of tramadol - instead of only 150mg (3 pills of 50mg each), we gave her 3 pills at 7:30 this evening and another 3 pills at 9:45 this evening. Will this harm our 16 year old?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: The dog does not seem hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shay
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shay?
Customer: we are also supposed to give her valium at nighttime - 3 pills of 10mg each)
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

At 75 pounds (34 kg) the normal dose of 150 mg is 4.4 mg/kg which is a high end dose. Giving an additional 150 mg puts the dose at 8.8 mg/kg which is a high dose used with some orthopedic procedures. Because she is used to the 4.4 mg/kg if used regularly then she likely will be more sedated by the higher dose and nothing further but please monitor her closely for any signs of reduced responsiveness in the next 2-4 hours as a precaution

If you wanted to be absolutely safe then you can induce vomiting to bring up the additional dose. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tbsp & 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

The typical dose for dogs is 1-4 mg/kg but with orthopedic procedures can go up to 10 mg/kg. It is not commonly used but can be used in severe painful situations. With her age and depending on her overall health this dose may have a more significant effect on her. If you elect not to induce vomiting and her responsiveness reduces overnight please consider a veterinary er to give supportive care such as IV fluids to minimize further effects

Again I don't expect this to be the case but I do want you to be aware of what to monitor for tonight

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Shay to see how things went overnight? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!