Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Puppy with who was treated with parvo and has developed a

Customer Question

puppy with who was treated with parvo and has developed a gagging cough
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i gave her a small bone earlier when i got home so i could finish my work from the desk. its seems like she has started coughing more since then i fed her her dinner and she ate it all.. she is still on antibiotics.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog who already had to deal with such a severe infection. If your puppy had been hospitalized or just was treated as an outpatient there's a good chance that she contracted infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") at the hospital. The incubation period of that infection is 3-10 days and the hallmark of the infection is a gagging, hacking, cough. She may already be on an antibiotic that's recommended against infectious tracheobronchitis - either doxycycline or amoxicllin/clavulanate (Clavamox). Please let me know if that's the case.

Most dogs will remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. I might prescribe a narcotic cough suppressant for severely affected dogs but antibiotics aren't usually necessary. I would consider an antibiotic for her, however, because her immune system is likely to still be supbar due to her bout with parvovirus. Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.