Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog scoobydoo has been coughing and wheezing. and seems

Customer Question

my dog scoobydoo has been coughing and wheezing. and seems to be breathing .defferent he has been in the cats litter box eating poop.could that be it? what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman an happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear about your Scooby Doo. It can be related to the litter as it can be high in dust which can insight issues with the respiratory system but if his gums are pale, blue, purple and/ or his respiratory rate (breaths per minute while at rest) are >60 then please consider having him seen tonight to rule out other issues with his respiratory tract such as pneumonia, heart disease, fluid in the lungs to name a few.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the wheeze/ cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant
2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs
3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite or any of the symptoms I listed above then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted or other therapies based on the exam findings +/- x-rays.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. I hope he is feeling better soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scoobydoo. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman