Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have a 9 year old golden retriever that has never been

Customer Question

We have a 9 year old golden retriever that has never been fixed but has never been pregnant, now she appears pregnant and we saw her locked up with another dog in January, she is starting to go under our deck and won't come out. We have now fixed her a nice cozy spot in the corner of the house. Today she is shaking and nervous, how can we tell if she is very close and how can we help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I have a great guide for you to whelping that can help answer many more questions than I can provide. CLICK HERE for a link

The biggest key to the possibility of her whelping puppies in the next 12 hours is her temperature rectally. If her temperature falls below 98 then this is going to indicate she is close to giving birth. She will want to be in a safe area and why she maybe going under your deck. Often an enclosed high sided area such as a plastic children's swimming pool with lots of blankets can be something readily available. You want the room dimly lit and quiet for her.

If she is pushing and has a puppy but then nothing for a while yet still pushing this becomes an emergency that you need to seek a veterinary er because she may have a puppy in her birth canal that is stuck and without knowing how many to expect it would be time to consider a veterinary er if she pushes for more than an hour without success

The page I have attached can be a great guide through this process but the primary indicator that is consistent it is time is the temperature drop

I hope this gives you a starting point but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We think she is only at 58 weeks, should we be alarmed?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

The length of the pregnancy is based on when she came into estrus not when she locked with a male. Although 63 days is the average just as with people they can be a little earlier or a little later as a normal variable.