Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have a 7 month old male English Mastiff pup, just noticed

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old male English Mastiff pup, just noticed large lumps on both sides of his lower jaw, they do not seem painful, I felt in his mouth, nothing that I can feel out of the ordinary, eating well, playing normal, currently on antibiotics for chin acne. What is this and do I need to be seen ASAP or is this something that will go away on its own
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Cecil has these changes, from what you describe they are either lymph nodes or salivary glands and can be very normal even if enlarged in some puppies and dogs but it can be an indicator of puppy strangles which can occur in puppies but more commonly younger than his age of 7 months.

Often with puppy strangles they don't feel very well with lethargy, sometimes skin lesions, reduced appetite to name a few. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in puppies

The good news is your puppy is not showing any symptoms of puppy strangles but I would advise having him seen by your veterinarian to rule this out in the next 24 hours. If he begins to show any symptoms listed or in the article I attached then I would have him seen sooner but as long as they are not continuing to grow or affect his breathing monitoring until you can be seen should be just fine...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is directly on the jawbone itself

Is it hard or soft and moveable?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is hard and not move able

That is unusual and cannot explain a hard lump on the lower jaw on both sides in a dog this age without palpation and possible aspiration (poking with a needle). But if it is even on both sides then I suspect that it is normal variation since he is not clinical for any changes I listed as well as increased salivation, pawing at his mouth, odor.

As a precaution I would advise having it evaluated but from what you describe and the fact he is acting normal I would not advise a veterinary er and have your vet evaluate him at your earliest convenience. I would, however take photos if you are able so that if it begins to go away or change you have a starting point of where it looks now

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!