Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 12 week old puppy has orange jelly bean oval shaped

Customer Question

My 12 week old puppy has orange jelly bean oval shaped squishy little balls in his poop. Is this bad? I need help on what to do with my puppy please. I can't afford vet services right now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He does get into some things around the house. I'm not sure if he has eaten anything. I wouldn't put it past him though because he has eaten indegestiable things before. And no he has no other symptoms. He is playing normally and he is still eating and drinking.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the fecal content is directly related to what he eats. So, it is possible she could have gotten into some type of foreign body and this is what you are seeing in the feces. We can sometimes see mucus (jelly like) with orange color when the intestines are over active and inflamed; in a puppy common causes would be: Parasites, infections, dietary indiscretion, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Consider getting her dewormed. I would recommend Panacur (fenbendazole) given once a day for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy Panacur in your local pet store or online (

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your a veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Butler. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter