Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He has been dry heaving lately. and it is staring to concern

Customer Question

he has been dry heaving lately. and it is staring to concern me. at first he was actually throwing up but now it is just dry heaves
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, I just started feeding him and another dog outside their pens and he does eat faster. I feed them in separate rooms.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is 11 years old no other things wrong with him
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Is he on dry or canned food?

Is he drinking normally and can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has had this for about 2 - 3 weeks. He eats dry food mixed with water and moist. He doesn't have diahrea. His tummy is not tender. He is drinking rain water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now considering his initial vomiting that has subsided but left dry heaving; we do have a few concerns. First, it is possible that he still has a degree of nausea from the original complaint that caused his vomiting. Otherwise, we'd be wary of a possible secondary esophagitis from that original vomiting. Both could cause what we are seeing with your lad and could persist for weeks if we don't allay that underlying irritation.

In regards ***** ***** to address both of these, we usually find an antacid of benefit. Now since we do have throat concerns, we would aim for a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - dosed at 0.5tsp every 8 hours) if possible or could have his vet dispense a liquid gastroprotectant (ie Sucralfate). Both would coat the throat as well as allay any nausea and would allow us to cover as many bases as possible. Otherwise, if these weren't options, we could try him with alternative antacids like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Furthermore, while I am glad the dry food is being soaked, I would be tempted to have your lad on a soft and/or bland diet. That way we'd just make sure there was no risk that the dry food s abrading the throat and preventing healing. As well, bland diets can be of benefit when we have nausea lurking. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have him on canned food for a few days or try a light/easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, based on your history, this does sound like a situation where we have persisting nausea and/or esophagitis present. Therefore, we'd want to start the above supportive care at this stage. If he settles, we are happy and can wean him back to his normal food. Though if his signs linger after a few days, then we'd want to have his vet check this so that we can rule out any other issue and have gastroprotectants can be dispensed.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?