Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

I have seen an ad local veterinarian who offers laser

Customer Question

I have seen an ad for a local veterinarian who offers laser therapy to relieve arthritis pain in dogs. I am interested in trying this but need to know if my dog is a good candidate. He is a 15 yr old Yorkie with some obvious arthritis. He has some renal insufficiency. His last creatinine was 1.9, BUN was 70. He is on sub-q boluses of LR every other day. I just want to make sure that laser therapy won't affect his renal function. I'm asking you before I get a consultation so I can have a broader perspective and know if I need to ask any additional questions during the consult. He weighs 4.5 lbs. Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your dog's conditions. Having used a therapy laser in my practice, I would say he would be an ideal candidate for laser therapy. The treatments would almost certainly give him some degree of relief without the use of any drugs that could harm his fragile kidneys. Laser therapy, like any medicine, doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does work most o the time, and after one treatment you may see noticeable results. Six treatments will offer whatever improvements you're going to see. We're still learning about lasers and how they work, but I've personally seen almost miraculous results. There is no "placebo effect" in dogs, when they feel better they are not acting or imagining it. Laser therapy is most definitely worth the effort in your little guy's case. If you should have any further questions, please let me know. Kind regards, *****